Saturday 2 May 2009

First post

Here starts my random postings on topics of model and real railways, both home and abroad. I have always been interested in Swiss metre gauge railways and am now embarking on a journey to build a TTm scale layout and stock, as on the whole there is nothing readily available of the shelf that doesn't cost a kidney or two. I particularly like the RhB as a modern operational railway and as this is a working railway has plenty of freight traffic. My aim is to start off small with a diorama and then build up to a proper layout when I have some space of my own.

I also have interests in UK standard gauge 2mm FS, currently working on a boxfile layout (BFL) although some may argue that this is not really a layout, but to me it is just a matter of perception. Not all of us have garages, spare rooms or basements to build our empires, so my has to be a micro empire for the moment. Relatively recently I have been side tracked by some 014 by a friend or should that be a pusher! as I like the size and the Finescale nature of it. Plans are still whizzing round my head and being transffered to backs of envelopes!! but don't have the picture in my head yet that isn't completely unprototypical on virtually impossible.

Like all things model railway, with me it is focusing my energies and cash into a small number of scales and gauges and not allowing myself to get distracted, like a child in a sweet shop. So now I have a scale strategy. 2mmFS Southern Region modern near future, 3mm Swiss Metre Gauge on 9mm track, and 014 7mm not sure what yet plan..

Am also going to experiment with foam board baseboards as they seem to be all the rage now! have some lined up waiting to be butchered.

So here begineth the lesson..

1 comment:

  1. I'm not really all that into trains 'n such, but I did like the line you wrote about "Not all of us have garages, spare rooms or basements to build our empires, so my has to be a micro empire for the moment." That's genius! Keep up the good work and have fun with the trains!

    ReplyDelete